Sunday, February 26, 2012

Monthly DIY: Magazine Picture Frame

For my Feb DIY project, I took a little trip to the craft store with a Pinterest idea in mind, but couldn't find the dang supplies I needed. So, instead I walked out with a $4 plain wood picture frame and decided to get funky with some old magazines and catalogues.

Photobucket

Nothing extraordinary, but a super easy and fun little project. Here's what ya need...

Supplies:
  • Plain wood picture frame from craft store (or an old one that you want to re-purpose)
  • Old magazines, newspapers, or catalogues
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint brush or something else to apply Mod Podge
Photobucket

Now do I even need to explain what to do next? All I did was go crazy cutting out anything that caught my eye in my old magazines. I made this frame to hang in my kiddos' bedroom, so I kept that in mind. I seriously didn't take longer than 10 minutes to chop out random crap. And then? As fast as I could, before my littles woke up from their naps, I painted some Mod Podge on the frame, smacked on my cutouts everywhere, let it dry for a few minutes, and then painted one last layer of Mod Podge over the entire thing. Let that beast dry and then DONE. Easy peasy.

We hung it over Leila's bed and she just loves it.

Photobucket

Now I'm not gonna lie... this frame turned out FAR from perfect. The wet Mod Podge caused a lot of wrinkle action to happen on the thin magazine paper (you can kinda see it in the word "COOL" in the above pic). I'm thinking if I had a do-over I would use maybe a spray adhesive or something less wet to glue everything firmly down to the frame BEFORE applying the Mod Podge over the top. But, I don't even know if that would help. Any pro Mod Podgers out there???

Either way, I am still super happy with how it turned out and I am totally keeping this little craft in mind when gift times roll around. Who wouldn't love a funky fun frame like this? Oh, and I also bought a huge "B" at the craft store (for our last name) that I plan on Mod Podging with family photos. That'll be a DIY artsy craftsy project for another month.

And this is about the extent of excitement from my weekend. Did you do anything fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...