Monday, November 5, 2012

Away

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's amazing what even just a couple of days away can do for you. On Friday, I took the day off work to enjoy a long weekend getaway to Seattle to celebrate my hubby's 28th birthday and my nephew's 3rd. (Of course the PNW blogger meet-up just happened to be taking place in Portland this weekend when I actually could have made it for once if it had been in Seattle! Oh, life!)

Our weekend consisted of a one-night splurge in a fancy downtown hotel, the Cheesecake Factory, overcast Seattle skies, Pike's Place Market, laughter with old and new friends, happy kiddos, lots of good food and wine, screaming & squeeling 3-year-olds, cake, love, and rest. My little family of four soaked up our time together as if our life depended on it. And it felt SO good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One night on our little trip I experienced something I haven't done in a long time. We were at the hotel and I had just gotten the kids to fall asleep. Andy was out with some friends (I urged him to go... at least one of us should be able to go have some fun). I was trapped 25 floors above a bustling city in a quiet, dark room with nothing to do. I didn't have a book to read and I didn't want to turn on the TV since Leila is such a light sleeper. So, it was just me and my thoughts. Sure, I could have played on my phone, but for once I didn't feel like it. I literally laid in the dark on the bed for a good hour just letting my mind drift. What's funny is that I kept getting waves of guilt - surely I should be doing something! But then I would remind myself that I'm on vacation, that I deserve this time, that there is NOTHING wrong with doing NOTHING every once in a while. And then I fell asleep. A little after 9pm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Long story short, we had a wonderful time with some much needed relaxation and reconnecting with family and friends. And now a bitter taste is in my mouth from returning to reality. It's fun to run away every once in a while, even if it's just for a couple of days. :-)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like fun!! (Including your early bedtime--jealous!) I've always wanted to go to Seattle. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a perfect night away! I am glad you at that time at night to just relax, think and basically do nothing. We all need that sometime. And a 9pm bed time sounds like just what I need about now! Love all the beautiful photos. This really made me want a night away in a fancy hotel with dinner out and all the goodies that come with one night of splurging. Sounds perfect! :) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa @ Completely EclipsedNovember 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

    Looks like you had such a great time!  It's nice to sneak away for the weekend.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so good to see you guys and catch up! We must do it again soon (less than a year from now, okay?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! We will try to come back in the spring and hopefully get a longer visit with you guys - and more play time for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It felt SO good. But coming back to reality sucks the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's fun to splurge every now and then. But Andy and I felt a little out of place at the hotel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you ever make it this way let me know! I'll meet ya there! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pictures of your drive. I have always wanted to go in one of the sky scrapers in Seattle. Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend. Oh and I do the same thing, about geting guilty for not doing something. I have to force myself to relax some times.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...