"When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child." – Sophia Loren
In my opinion, the most crucial part of the day in the life of a working-outside-the-home-mom is the weekday morning. How the morning goes can make or break your entire day. When I first went back to work with Leila, it took me a few good months to get my morning routine down and flawless. And even when the routine was flawless, there were always circumstances I couldn't control...a messy diaper blowout, a tantrum, spilled milk (which I have, indeed, cried over).
Since Landon was born, I've had to re-establish the morning routine. And it hasn't been easy. Seriously, if it weren't for my hubby I don't think I'd make it out the door some mornings. Last summer I wrote a post about my morning routine with Leila (back when there was only 1 kiddo to wrangle in the AM). I thought it would be fun for me to analyze my routine these days. Oh how my life has changed...
- 6:01am - Alarm goes off... if I'm lucky enough that Landon is still asleep. Some mornings his little crow calls wake me up closer to 5:30am. If he's still asleep I jump in the shower in a zombie-like state. If he's awake, I bring him into the bathroom with me and pop him in the bouncer while I shower.
- 6:20ish - After slathering myself with lotion and combing through my hair, I throw on some sweats, grab my littlest beast, change his diaper, and head downstairs. This is where I multi-task... I usually will sit on the chaise lounge in our living room and put Landon on the boob while I attempt to do my make-up. Talent!
- 6:45ish - Leila usually saunters downstairs around this time and promptly requests milk and Dora. Landon is usually still on the boob and I'm still attempting to do my make-up. I start to sweat a little. Landon finishes up, I put him in the excercauser/bouncer, turn on Dora for Leila and get her some milk. If I need to finish my make-up, I do it... fast.
- 7am - I grab Landon and head upstairs to wake up the hubby. Usually laying Lando in bed next to him does the trick. While he's waking up I get dressed and blow dry/style my hair.
- 7:20-30ish - This is where it all turns to chaos. I usually end up barking orders at Leila and Andy. Andy gets Landon dressed while I take on Leila. This time in our morning involves a variety of exciting activities like frantically tearing apart a closet looking for a matching shoe, throwing a banana and trail mix in my purse for breakfast, grabbing a change of clothes for Landon (he seriously has a blow-out every day at daycare), brushing teeth, combing Leila's rat's nest hair, etc.
- 7:35ish - Our chaos culminates with both kiddos in their car seats. Usually at this point Leila freaks out because she forgot her baby or her special bear blankie and I have to run back upstairs scouring the house for it. Once that's taken care of, we can safely back out of the garage and head off to daycare for Leila & Landon and work for me. There is always a big sigh of relief once we are on our way.
- I get the diaper bag ready and pick out the kiddos clothing the night before. One less thing to worry about in the morning.
- The kiddos daycare serves breakfast. Hallelujah! If I had to worry about feeding Leila, she just wouldn't get to eat. ;-)
- Hubby. An extra set of hands. Enough said.
- TV. I know it's bad, but Dora seriously makes my mornings so much easier! Leila is content while I can get myself ready and Andy can wake up and deal with Landon.
Any of you working mommas have tips/tricks that help get your days off to a great start?
I wish I had some good advice for you but....I'm the same way...always late, stressed, and never enough time!
ReplyDeleteHow a morning with the kids goes definitely sets the tone for the day! Although my deal breaker is usually how drop off at daycare goes.
ReplyDeleteEver since I started working out in the evenings last summer I've been taking showers at night. It lets me get some extra sleep in the mornings, or if Lorelai wakes up early, I get extra snuggles with her. But it does help tremendously that Aidan and Logan get themselves dressed, ready and even fed all on their own (we pick out clothes for everyone the night before). They sometimes (like this morning!) need a lot of prompting to stop playing and get ready though...
I tried the showering at night thing when Leila was a baby and it was a great time saver, but it only lasted a couple weeks because I just need my shower each morning to help me wake up AND I have super flat, stringy hair that looks much better right after it's washed. :-) Can't wait til Leila can dress herself! She's getting there!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYour kids look so adorable. I salute moms like you who are able to manage their time. It's not easy to juggle work and family and it seems like your doing it so well. My wife participated in mom groups in nyc and have really learned a lot of things about managing her time.
ReplyDelete