Saturday, February 5, 2011

Me Time

Last night I was talking to a friend who has just ended an abusive relationship. Throughout the relationship she totally spent all of her time and energy taking care of someone who treated her like crap...she didn't take care of herself. As we were chatting, the wanna-be therapist in me came out (remember, I did get my degree in psychology). I told her that now is the time for her to be selfish. It's time for her to do what she wants to do. That if she takes care of herself and even spoils herself, that she may have a chance at being happy again and in turn the people around her will be happy.

As I was trying to drift off to sleep, my own words kept popping into my head. I started to realize that it is totally valid and even important to make time for yourself... for me to make time for myself. Me time. As a full-time working mom with a child in daycare, it is a daily struggle for me to not feel guilty. But, working makes me happy. It makes me appreciate every single second that I have with Leila and Andy. It keeps me sane. And, I actually like it. It is my "me time." Working may actually even make me a better mom! I mean, if I'm happy then they're happy, right? Now, I'm not saying working part time wouldn't be better. But, doing what is best for you and your family is different for each and every person. Maybe if I were a stay at home mom I would be totally nutty! Maybe I would get depressed, or lonely. I don't know because I have never done it. All I do know is that I'm pretty happy now and I feel like I have a decent balance between myself and my family. And this little blog is just a little bit more of "me time." Allowing me to explore things I like, or may like, to do.

Speaking of that! I am totally torn between trying to sew a quilt (mind you, a baby quilt most likely) or pursuing my jewelry making dreams. What should I do? The lazy ass in me is just wanting to hunker in at home this weekend and do nothing. But, because of this blog and the things that I've started I know I need to go out and do something. That will happen tomorrow, I promise. But for now, I must tackle this:

Please don't judge.
Photobucket

Yes, that is our bedroom floor. And, we still haven't even unpacked from our trip (our suitcases just sit there staring at us at night, waiting for us to unload them). Having me time and having a family makes for very little house cleaning time. I know, no excuses! I'll just flat out admit that I am a crappy cleaner. But, I am getting better at cooking! Check out this stir fry...

Thank you Christine for Andy's wok! We are LOVING it!
Photobucket

Adios for now. I promise to touch on the dream list next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...