Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fighting the Ultimate Battle

I know I've been MIA for a few days, but with good reason. I've had a tough week. My best-friend-since-first-grade's husband was diagnosed with stage IV cancer this past week. Their life has been completely turned upside down. They were in the process of buying their first house and getting excited for Mike to start PA school this fall with a $42,000 scholarship. They have since backed out of the house and put all plans on hold while they prepare to move across the state to see a specialist. Mike starts chemo tomorrow.

I had a really tough 48 hours after Jessica called me in tears from the hospital to deliver the news. My heart just ached so much for her. Not as much for Mike because I know he is such a strong, positive, optimistic person who will fight with all of his might to kick this cancer's ass, but I was sooooo worried for her because I know how much he is her life. They are soul mates. They've been married since age 21 and completely inseparable ever since. I seriously can't imagine her life without him. But then, on Thursday night in the midst of a serious case of the dumps, something hit me. I just got overcame with the most positive feeling about the whole situation. He is going to dominate this! They are going to be together forever! Ever since that night I really have felt so optimistic about their situation. And I know they will make it through.

Today we were going to go visit them before they head off for the intense treatment ahead. But, little Miss Leila of course has a cold and Andy and I aren't in tip-top shape either. So we don't want to risk exposing Mike to anything. Our thoughts and prayers are with them non-stop and they don't need us to see them to know that.

Soooooo, other than all that we have had a peaceful and relaxing weekend full of sunshine and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Photobucket

She hit her head - can't you just hear her saying "ouch!"?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Life is so precious. Each and every moment should be cherished and nothing should be taken for granted. All that matters is family and the people you love in life. Career, money, hobbies, good food - they all add to our lives, but they don't define them. Love is all that matters.

3 comments:

  1. Mike is TOTALLY going to kick ass! It's just a little road bump in life. Such good news that UW will honor his scholarship and admission next school year. I'm honestly not sure I know a couple better equipped to handle something like this!

    p.s. How's the quilt coming along? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kim!

    As for the quilt, I am a loser. No motivation right now. All I want to do is sleep. I will get to it...eventually.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel,

    I am so sorry for you and for your friends. Mike's sister has stage IV cancer (for three years now) and has defied the odds. She is so positive about it all - I am sure that has something to do it! It sounds like your friend has a great attitude, too. I'll think good thoughts for them (and you!)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...