Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wise Words Wednesday: Skunked

"Ask yourself this question:
'Will this matter a year from now?'" - Richard Carlson, writing in Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Photobucket

I had a rough day yesterday. My head hurt and I was tired. By the time 9:30pm rolled around I was dying to get into bed. So, I got myself ready and asked Andy to let Billy outside one last time. He said that he didn't want to, that he had just let him out an hour before. I whined and said, "Fine, I'll do it!" Every one (even doggies) deserve the chance to pee one last time before hitting the sack! So I let him out back and went to brush my teeth. Next thing I knew, Andy was yelling at me that Billy had escaped the back yard (under our fence for the 50th time) and that he was chasing a skunk. I think you know how this ends.

Basically, my long day turned even longer and I ended up in bed closer to 11pm than my 10pm goal. Our cute little chihuahua has now been nicknamed "Skunk Dog" and our entire house reeks. We've bathed him twice and will try a crazy peroxide/baking soda/dish soap solution tonight. Poor little Billy who usually sleeps with us every night was locked in the guest room last night. Not that that helped much. Do you know what it's like to try to sleep with the stench of skunk overpowering your house? It's not fun. And I am VERY tired today.

Wanna know the point of me telling you this? It's not for you to feel sorry for me. It's not even me complaining. The point is that sh*t happens. This is just a teeny tiny glitch in every day life. It is nothing compared to losing a loved one. Or battling cancer at such a young age. Will I even think about this a year from now? I highly doubt it. Even with skunkiness overpowering all of my senses as I tried to fall asleep last night, all I could think about was how lucky I am. How if this is the extent of my problems I have it made pretty dang good. I layed there and I prayed for my best friend & her hubby and those who are going through real issues and battles. And I never felt sorry for myself once.

Oh, and I've learned to never argue with my hubby about letting the dog out. I guess he has a sixth sense about these things or something...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ariel- When my old heeler would get in with a skunk we used Go-Jo on her. It's the orange scented degreaser that mechanics use, you can get it at Napa. For some reason it works. You just spread it on, leave it on for about 15 minutes, rinse and the stench is pretty much gone or at least MUCH better. Just be sure you don't get it in his eyes or let him eat it. I would also say don't use it more than once since it's not a 'pet' product. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky! We used a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap and it seemed to work pretty good. He mainly got hit in the face, so he still stinks there because his face is soooo little and we didn't want to get anything in his little bulging eyes. :-) We will be prepared for next time, though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...