"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius
One of my better qualities is that I am really good at getting joy out of the simplest of things. I love the simple life. It's mundane, everyday things that often make me smile the most. Take the above pic for example. That is a plant that Leila gave me for Mother's Day via daycare. When I got it it consisted of teeny tiny little shoots. And now it is full and wild and has sprouted the prettiest little purple flower. This makes me very happy.
As I cooked dinner tonight, I was soooooo content in the moment. Leila sat on the floor, playing quietly, a nice breeze was blowing through the window, and I was off in dreamland while I cooked up some delightful spaghetti sauce. It's funny how sometimes even cooking makes me happy! (If you don't already know, I struggle with food prep and my attempt at meal planning has pretty much failed.)
Sometimes I see things like this intricate rose and it really makes me ponder life. There are so many little details in all of our lives. This can add up to all sorts of stress, but why do we let it? If we get back to basics, if we focus on the simple things, life can be so much more enjoyable.
All of these thoughts running through my head right now have made me realize what could be at the root of my "what ifs" problem, the real reason why I don't push myself to accomplish more, to shoot for the stars. What if I go for it and my life is no longer simple? What if I succeed so much that I don't have time to take in the little details? To relax? To stop and appreciate a pretty, little flower?
I just need to find a way to make my life more complex while still keeping its simplicity. Does that make any sense at all? I didn't think so.
:-)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!