“The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering” ~ Ben Okri
I remember one year ago today just like it was yesterday. My belly was stretched to the max with 36 weeks of pregnancy and my heart felt like it was crumbling into a million pieces. I spent most of the day sobbing into our couch pillows after hearing the news that our dear friend Mike, my best friend's hubby, had lost his 5 month battle with cancer.
I can't believe it's been one year.
It's a crazy thing, life and death. It's insane how someone so amazing, so full of love, so inspirational, with endless amounts of potential and zeal for life can be snatched away from us so quickly. And the craziest thing about it all is that while we feel like our world has shattered around us, life doesn't stop.
The mail is still delivered.
Our favorite shows still air on TV.
The dog still needs to be fed.
The buzz of the city still exists.
I try to think of this in moments when I'm riding the back bumper of the car in front of me which is going 10 miles under the speed limit and I'm just about to lay on the horn. What if that person driving just suffered a loss? What if the speed limit is the last thing they're thinking about because their world is crashing down around them? I think it's good to seek an unselfish perspective on life whenever we feel our frustration kicking in over silly little things.
This is what Mike taught me. This is what grieving over his loss continues to remind me. It is SO not worth stressing out over little insignificant things. And watching Jessica, my BFF (love ya girl!), pick herself up and continue to ride the wave of life after losing her soul mate has been the most inspiring and encouraging thing of all. My petty little problems are NOTHING.
Life is a funny thing. We like to think we have all the answers, but we don't. No one does. All we have to go off is faith. Faith in something bigger than all this. Personally, I have faith that Mike is in a better place - a place far exceeding even our wildest dreams.
If you feel like being inspired, read the CaringBridge journal update that my BFF Jessica just posted on Mike's page. You can find it HERE.
What a beautiful post. Your amazing and inspirational posts are always reminding me of what is most important in life and this one is such a reminder that we really can't waste time stressing over the small things. I am so sorry for your (and your best friend's) loss 1 year ago today.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Fiona! I really REALLY appreciate all of the support you always give me! Some day I would LOVE to come visit you in the DR. :-)
ReplyDeleteVirtual hugs to you and your BFF. What a great perspective to have, but such an unfortunate way to get there.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure. I find your posts incredibly inspirational and always get me thinking about what is important in life which is something we all need to be reminded of from time to time. I actually just looked at your 'Dream list' on your blog and saw that you volunteered for a month in the DR in college? Did I know this already? I'm not sure... sorry if I did and have forgotten if you mentioned it before! :) But that is awesome! Which part were you in? You've probably seen me mention our non-profit business on my blog a few times but we actually take volunteers to come and work with us as the main way of funding our program so it is extra interesting. We've definitely had a lot of our past volunteers say it was the best experience of their lives as well... which always makes us so pleased. Like you, I would love to volunteer in Africa someday too, although it might have to wait a while! :) Loved reading through all of your other 'dreams/goals'. You'll get there!!
ReplyDelete