So, as of Labor Day 2012 here are my thoughts on being a working mom...
... I am happy with the day-to-day routine that I've established with my family and work life. We are all happy and know what to expect out of each day of the week. There is consistency and decent balance. I'm content.
... My job? Boring. I've been bored with work lately and this makes me sad. A lot of this has to do with the slow summer months, but a lot of it has to do with me outgrowing what I'm doing. I'm craving some challenge and change maybe?
... The thought of ever leaving my current place of employment deeply saddens me. I seriously love all of my co-workers with all of my heart. They are my home away from home. Even if the job sucks at times, they make it all worth it. This is why I have no plans of leaving any time soon.
... The extra $ is nice. I can't imagine not having my income. Sure we'd survive, but things would be tight. And not as much fun. :)
... Every day I go to sleep feeling like there aren't enough hours in the day (okay, maybe a huge component of this is the fact that I'm usually in bed by 10pm, but I need my beauty rest!). Not enough time to work and blog and spend time with my hubby. I always make time for the kiddos, but not for the hubby. And my DVR is backed up people.
... Most of the working-mom-guilt has dissipated. I no longer feel bad for leaving my kiddos at daycare. They only go 3 days/week and Leila is now old enough to talk to me about it and she always has great things to say and is usually very excited to go in the morning. And Landon is just easy going, period. Knowing that they are somewhere together eases my mind, too. And the other 2 days/week they get to be home with their daddy! It makes me so happy that they get this special bonding time with him.
Overall, the word to sum up my current feelings on being a working mom would be: CONTENT. Life could be better, but it sure as hell could be a LOT worse. I'm proud of myself for doing what I do (i.e. juggling life without having a mental breakdown) and I know some day I will make my kiddos proud.
How are you other mommas feeling lately? Work driving you crazy? Staying home with the kiddos driving you crazy? Happy with it all? Planning any life changes in the near future?
It's so nice to finally get to that place. I used to feel so beyond guilty that I was a working mom, but now I can say without worrying what anyone thinks, that I like that I'm a working mom and I honestly don't think that staying at home would ever be right for me. Great post girl.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I am so happy that I stuck it out so that I could get to where I am.
ReplyDeleteOh I am so ready for a work change. I love the people I work with, just no the politics that are developing. We have been on a pay freeze for the past 3 years, and it just isn't cutting it anymore. We are trying to figure out if I can maybe find a job where I could work part time so I don't feel like I miss out on so much of Hayes. It is killing me to not spend more time with him. At the same time, I don't think I am cut out to be a full time SAHM. I always thought I wanted to be, but after actually having a child, I think part time would be about perfect.
ReplyDeletePart time would be PERFECT, I agree! I too am not cut out to be a full time SAHM... it took me a while to be ok with admitting that, but I've discovered that time away from my kids actually makes me a better mom.
ReplyDelete