So out into our backyard we ventured - me in my work clothes and the kiddos in whatever they were wearing that day. I did however make the hubby switch from sweatpants into jeans. I got some eye rolls for that one, but seriously, is a halfway decent family photo too much to ask for?
The Art (or maybe not so much) of Taking a Self-Family Photo
1. Set up camera on tripod and have a couple of your subjects pose in the photo area to set up the shot. Take a test shot (or several).
My super excited test shot subjects...
2. Set your camera to timer mode. We went with a 10 second delay after realizing it was set to 3 seconds and getting a fabulous shot of my ass (sorry, not sharing that one). With a toddler who doesn't want to take the pic to begin with at your side, press the shutter button and run to the rest of your family and jump in the pic.
I think we were all a little bit too excited. Hubby looks like he's jacked up on some-sort of happy pills (and trust me, he wasn't very happy about all this)...
3. Try again.
Fail. This time I took the happy pills. And Landon's got the back arch thing going on. Winning!
4. And try again. This time it gets a little tricky, though. Toddler will start crying, wanting you to "run to the other side of daddy." And when you don't do it, she'll get pissed.
Mommy & Daddy look ok, but brother got distracted by a sassy sissy...
5. Last try. Everyone is losing patience so you just gotta go for it. Keep your fingers crossed and say a quick prayer that everyone smiles (but not too cheesily) and looks and the camera.
I think this was the best shot we got. And it is FAR from perfect. My hair (& Leila's) is cRaZy from running into the photo. Lando-pie is distracted. Hubby & Billy look cute. Maybe another day.
Okay, so I mostly failed in the the self-family portrait project, but I will be trying again. Maybe I didn't get the perfect framable-hang-above-the-mantle shot that I was after, but we got some decent ones that capture US in the MOMENT. Nothing fake here people.
Any of you ever give the ole camera timer a shot before?
A remote would help for future self-sessions. For some cameras they are cheap, for other cameras they are pricy, but it never hurts to check into it and it will save you all that running back and forth. ;)
ReplyDeleteThese are great family photos!! I think you did pretty darn good for having a baby and a toddler... and a dog involved!! :) I love the 'overly happy' one because you are all looking which is very impressive! I am sure you'll be glad you took the time to get this photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yeah, I'm glad we did it. I'm going to try to take these more often just so that we actually have some current family pics.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! That would totally prevent the messy hair/sweat on the forehead look. :-)
ReplyDeleteI have never tried this! Last pic is my fav. Landon looks adorable just looking at the sky and even pup is cooperating!
ReplyDeleteohhh my god i am so happy you found my blog bc now i found yours and i was just thoroughly enjoying every single post on your home page until i found myself LAUGHING out loud by myself to this one. and then my little darling landon started laughing too ;) but i was totally in such a sad mood before i came across Dreams To Do :) love, love, love your blog, thank you.
ReplyDeletelisa (mumma's corner)
Ahhh, this comment made my day! So glad you stopped by! & it means a lot to me that I was able to cheer you up a little. Hope today is a happy day for you!
ReplyDeleteA remote would help for future self-sessions. For some cameras they are cheap, for other cameras they are pricy, but it never hurts to check into it and it will save you all that running back and forth. ;)
ReplyDelete