Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wise Words Wednesday: Passion

"Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it." ~ Hardy D. Jackson
"Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart.” ~ Unknown
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion." ~ Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Photobucket

I couldn't pick just one quote of inspiration today. This topic is deserving of more. Today I want to discuss passion. Not the passion you experience for your significant other or your children, the passion you feel towards life... finding your passion.

I have a vivid memory. I remember sitting in a circle on the floor in the 1st grade. The teacher was talking about careers and proceeded to ask us what we want to be when we grow up. We went around the circle sharing our dream careers with our classmates. Fire Fighter. Policeman. Doctor. By the time it was my turn, I still hadn't figured out what to say so I copied my friend who went before me and said, "teacher." I swear, ever since that day over 20 years ago I have put a TON of thought into what I want "to be when I grow up." And I still have no clue.

Once I hit the college years, the fact that I was clueless about what I wanted to do with my life stressed me out to the max. And my fears held me back from pursuing studies that may have interested me and this altered the path I'm on now. I think I may have even been a little bit depressed at the time. What is it with our society raising us to measure our worth by what our career is?

It seriously took me until just recently to realize that your life focus shouldn't be about your "career" or your "title." It's about finding your passion. Children shouldn't be raised to stress about what they are going to be when they grow up. They should be encouraged to explore things that interest them and find what makes them happy, even if this is outside of whatever career they end up in.

So, what do I want to do with my life? I want to find my passion. I want to encourage others to find what they are passionate about. I am content with where my life is right now. I don't love my job, but I  love that it is fairly stress free and when I'm not working I get to do things that I do love, like...

blog,
and play with my family,
and daydream about finding my passion.

4 comments:

  1. Melissa @ Completely EclipsedMay 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

    I think figuring out what you want to do is the hardest part.  I teach full time, but I would kind of love to do a bit of everything!  

    And I really want to thank you for being so supportive of me. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I can totally relate! When I was younger, I always envisioned myself as a career woman. I am presently a SAHM and still have to complete my education. I never thought this is where I'd be at this time in my life. Surprisingly, I'm very happy being a SAHM. I never thought I'd be happy staying at home but I am! I agree when you say that we shouldn't raise our kids to find worth in their profession. There is so much more to life and being a good person then what your job is.

    Thank you for following and commenting on my blog! Your ad is now live on my site and I now have a button up if you wouldn't mind putting it on your blog. Thanks :) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first quote! Totally applies to so many things i have been feeling lately, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Quotes can be so inspiring and help to put life in perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...