Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hush Little Baby

Photobucket

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

If that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

If that diamond ring turns brass,
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass.

If that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat.

If that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull.

If that cart and bull turn over,
Papa's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

If that dog named Rover won't bark,
Papa's gonna buy you a horse and cart.

If that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest baby in town.

Leila and I recently came across this classic lullaby in a children's book that we own. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber (bwa ha ha!). However, now this song has a special place in my heart beyond that very funny movie.

For the past few weeks Leila has been obsessed with this song. We often catch her singing it to herself at night as she's falling asleep. Last night, Leila was throwing a little tantrum about going to bed. I scooped her up, arms and legs kicking, and carried her to her bed. She started crying and the more I reprimanded her, the louder she got. So, I decided to sing. Hush little baby, don't say a word... She instantly started smiling and singing along with me. We sang through the whole, silly lullaby (yes, I have it memorized by now) three times - our off key voices singing in a whisper as to not wake up Landon in his crib across the room. By the time we were done singing, she was ready for night-night time.

This moment was special for 2 reasons. First, I was proud of my sharp parenting skills for evading a major meltdown over bedtime and getting my child happily in bed. Second, as I snuggled up next to my daughter on her twin mattress, both of our voices singing in unison, it hit me that I have a child. Not a baby, not a toddler, a child. Normally it stresses me out to think about my kids growing up. But in this moment, it was a happy realization. I'm excited for the relationships I am going to continue to develop with them as people. Just a little moment that I never want to forget. :-)

And now, I will leave you with this...

1 comment:

  1. Parenting WIN! I love the feeling of those, good job mama!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...