Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Day of Unplugging: June 2012

How did we spend our time before there were computers, the internet, cell phones, or even TV? Do you ever feel like your precious time is being sucked away by these devices? Or maybe you don't even notice. One minute it's 7pm and you turn on the TV, check your email, reply to some tweets, update your Facebook status, and the next thing you know it's 11pm, but in your mind it's only been a few minutes - really!

Well, the other weekend I decided to take a day off from it all - a day of unplugging. I wanted to give my brain (and my eyes) a rest from all of this wonderful (and time consuming) technology. Here's what went down on my day off....

Bye-bye dear friends...
Photobucket

I started my morning off with the usual cup of joe and some family time. As soon as I sat down, I instantly thought to grab my phone of iPad and do the usual perusing of Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest - my morning ritual. Instead, I sat back and watched my hubby play on the floor with our kiddos. It felt good.

Don't worry, after the coffee I got right on down there and joined them.
Photobucket

Several times throughout the day I thought to grab my phone and take a pic with Instagram or check my email - moments of downtown when I usually would have. Instead, I spent the time taking in my surroundings and really being present in the moment. It made me realize how much time I spend each day "not really there."

This got me thinking... how many minutes, or hours, of my kiddos' lives have I lost to these distractions?

Photobucket

For example, I know this is bad, but I will usually play on my phone or catch up on the DVR while I feed Landon a bottle. We both get our time to relax. However, on my day of unplugging I took that time to admire his cute little hands and watch the way his little lips move as he sucks down the milk.  He will only be this cute and little for so long and I don't want to miss out on a minute of it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

My favorite part of the day was probably the kiddos' nap time. Miraculously, Andy and I got them to go down at the same time. I flopped on the couch and almost reached for the TV remote, but stopped myself. Instead, we lounged around, listening to the rain hitting the roof, and chatted. It was SO nice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I would have to say that my biggest realization on this day was just how much time I have to get things done if I just eliminate TV & internet usage. It boggled my mind! I got caught up on laundry, finally sewed a changing pad cover, AND spent some serious time relaxing with my hubby and kids!

Now I'm not saying that it was all easy. I almost caved multiple times (like when I wanted to text my friend something funny I saw). However, by the time the next day rolled around a part of me was a little bit sad that it was over. I felt like it was back to life, back to reality. My final conclusion? I will definitely be unplugging again.

I'm linking up today with Emily at The Peck Life in her "Let's Unplug!" series. Check it out to read how others unplugged or better yet, you should join in on the fun!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! But I don't know if I could convince my hubby to get on board with this since it would mean sacrificing our TV that night. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like a perfect day and i'm so glad that it was a success for you! i have that same morning routine (and that was probably the hardest one to break!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'd really like to do that, but I don't know if I could pull it off. You're right, we would have SO much more time if not for the Internet

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby wasn't on board, but it worked out nicely... when he wanted to watch TV that night I went to bed early and read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great!! Good for you! I did this the other day but not planned... it was during a visit to my friend's cottage on the lake... not only did I unplug electronics such as computers, phones, etc... the cottage had NO electricity or running water. It was so nice! I would really like to try doing this once a month. I am realizing just how much time I waste with my computer and TV and it needs to stop!! Or at least cut down! Again, good for you.. I am glad it went well! :) 

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...