Monday, June 18, 2012

Home

There were times growing up (particularly during the teen years) when I wanted to live "anywhere but here."  I dreamed of big cities, noise, lights, and endless amounts of things to do - something so completely different than what I had. However, as I've aged I've come to realize how lucky I was to grow up in the country and how lucky I am to have a place to go back to - a place to share with my children; a place I will always think of as "home."

Photobucket

I grew up in the "middle of nowhere" on 100+ acres of mountains, trees, ponds and meadows. It was a 15-20 minute drive on bumpy, dusty dirt roads just to get to the nearest store. My closest friend lived miles away. There were no culdesacs or leisurely bike rides down the street to get a cool treat in the Summer. But there was plenty of tree climbing, fort building, and mud pie selling to make up for it.

Photobucket

This past weekend I returned home with my family in tow for Father's Day. It felt SO good to escape it all in the peace and quiet of nature. There were moments as we took a family walk through the woods that I watched Leila running up ahead of us down the dirt road and I felt like I wanted to burst with gratitude. I feel so blessed to live in a place with so much natural beauty and I love that I get to share it with my children. After all, what is a childhood if you can't get a little dirt under your fingernails every now and then?

There's just something about a man wearing a baby that gets me...
Photobucket

My brother and his family are currently in the process of building a little house on our parents' property. It is such a great feeling to know that long after my parents are gone, someone will still be there to watch over the land - and we will always have a place to come and visit.

The views from my bro's place? Breathtaking...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Like most people, I so easily get caught up in the nonsense of life... the to do lists, the emails, the cleaning, the latest fashion. Every now and then it's good to return to our roots & try to remember our childhood perspective on things. The good ole days.

Photobucket

Home Sweet Home.

4 comments:

  1. Your childhood home looks so beautiful and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel. Growing up in the country in Arkanas - there was nothing like it. Now I am in Texas - in the suburbs, no less - everything is a minute away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO BEAUTIFUL and I feel the exact same way (except I grew up in rural....but not as rural as this!). Is it in eastern WA? I spy a pine tree. :) I would be happy for the rest of my life just to make my home in that barn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live right in the city now and I love it! I couldn't survive out in the country any more now that I've been spoiled with having a grocery store 2 seconds away. But, I love to return there for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...