I've never cooked a spaghetti squash before, but one of my friends posted about how amazing it is on Facebook the other day and I instantly had flashbacks of eating spaghetti squash with butter, salt, and pepper on a cool Fall evening with my family. My momma used to make it all the time. So, I was craving it and decided to take a stab at coming up with a new dish for my family.
I present to you my spaghetti squash vegetable medley. Seriously, this was love at first bite. Even little Landon Drew chowed down on this!
What I used (but think of the possibilities!):
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Handful of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves of diced garlic
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional, but oh so tasty)
- Dash of Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese
How to bake the spaghetti squash (I'm sure you can also just microwave it, but that kinda creeps me out for some reason):
- Chop that bad boy in half (tougher than it sounds) and scrape out all of the seeds and gooey insides (like a pumpkin).
- Put face down in 1/2 inch of water in a glass baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.
- Once done, let it cool for a few minutes then shred all of the spaghetti squash goodness out with a fork.
Now, we could just smother this with butter and S&P and eat as is, but I stepped it up a notch with the following:
- Saute chopped veggies and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until tender.
- Poor in chicken broth, white wine, Italian seasoning, and some S&P.
- Let this all simmer together for a couple of minutes and then toss in your shredded spaghetti squash.
- Poor that goodness out on a plate and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Eat with a side of chewy garlic bread.
This makes for one super filling and healthy meal that tastes divine! Serious!
Now I'm off to go eat the leftovers! YUMMO!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
PS - I totally slept off my attitude from Saturday and I'm back to my old self! I just hate hate random bad days. Those of you who commented totally lifted my spirits, too! Thanks!
ummm okay this could be quite possibly the most delicious thing I've ever seen a picture of. Def going to make this!!
ReplyDeleteThis looks SO GOOD!!! Already pinned it for future use :)
ReplyDeleteIt really was amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. And it would be good with other veggies or seasoning, too!
ReplyDeleteNo way! I'm sure a nice, bit chocolate cake has to be more delicious. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Ooo! I love spaghetti squash. We usually do a "southwestern" dish with spaghetti squash, red pepper, black beans, and cheese. I'll have to try this out!
ReplyDelete