"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered." ~ Nelson Mandela
It's been 10 years since I graduated from high school. This weekend I will reunite with people I haven't seen since then and spend time with some of my best friends still to this day. My 10 year reunion - WOW.
Right now I actually feel a little bit emotional about the whole thing. I think growing up in a super small town makes the class relationship as a whole that much stronger. We all knew each other and a good chunk of us are still close friends. I have some great memories from high school. I guess you could say I hung out in the popular crowd. I didn't have an athletic bone in my body (and still don't), but pretty much all of my friends were athletes. Hubby (who graduated in the class behind me) was a star football, basketball, and baseball player. I remember the moment he played in the 2001 state basketball championship and WON like it was yesterday. I, on the other hand, was a straight A student with no extracurricular activities who loved art classes and who didn't know what the heck I wanted to be when I grew up (and obviously I still haven't quite figured that one out).
I remember thinking about the future at my high school graduation - wondering where we would all be in 10 years. How different we would all be. I really was clueless where I would end up and only had a few set-in-stone goals: marriage, kids, own a home. Check, check, check. I guess I feel successful in that respect.
I'm excited to see everyone this weekend - to see where the crazy road of life has taken each of them. And I can't wait to laugh, and maybe even cry, reminiscing the good ole days in our small country town.
It is my 10 year high school reunion this weekend too!! Although I can't attend. I also come from a small town (2500 people) and a tiny graduating class of about 25 I believe. We were all pretty close and really close to some, so it was a special group and I wish I could make the reunion! It is crazy to think where we've come in 10 years. So much has happened and I am so happy with my life and the 10 years of memories created (although of course there were ups and downs along the way). Have a blast at your reunion!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! That's a really small graduating class! Hope you have a blast.
ReplyDeleteMine 10 year reunion is in two years. Haven't decided if I'll be going...
We graduated the same year! My school was INSANELY small though (my graduating class had 8, total) so we don't have reunions. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you have fun!
Geeeez time flies by!!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your reunion :) it´s awesome you are looking forward to it! I never attended any of my reunions so far.... Growing up in a REALLY small town - I always felt different than the other ppl in my class. I have 1 really good friend I´m still in touch with, but everybody else...ummm... naw.
I was always nice and popluar in school though, but I was happy to get out of the class, the town, ... while most of the others still live there, living the same life, never got to see what the world has to offer to them.
It´s weird.
Have a wonderful day! :)
Still glad I found your blog!
Yes, there are still quite a few people from my graduating class who never moved away. I always wanted to run off to Southern Cali - somewhere completely opposite from my hometown, but that never happened. I feel like I've been able to see a good chunk of the world so far, though.
ReplyDeleteWhat?! 8 people! Wow! My class was somewhere around the 100 mark. Can you believe we left high school 10 years ago? Crazy.
ReplyDeleteHappy 10 year reunion to you! Wow, your class was really small, too! We had around 100 peeps, so actually quite a bit bigger than your class.
ReplyDeleteMy 10 year reunion will be next year, and I can't wait! I'm also from a crazy small town and still really close with several people. The others I'm excited to see and learn what they've been up to. I cannot believe how fast this time has gone by! Have tons of fun girl!
ReplyDelete