Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Skinny Fat

I seriously can't even fathom the number of times people have commented on my weight. You're so skinny! What are you, like a size 0? Jeez girl, you need to get some meat on those bones! So, do you work out a lot? Oh my gosh, you're so tiny!  

For my whole life I've been thin. Knobby knees, no butt, wrists too small for any watch. Crazy as it may seem to someone who struggles with losing weight, I actually grew up being very self conscious of my skinniness. And now that I've popped out a couple of babies and I'm getting a little bit older, I'm self conscious of it in a new way. I'm no longer just skinny. I'm skinny fat. And this is NOT a good thing.

In case you've never heard the term "skinny fat," let's see how Urban Dictionary defines it:

Photobucket

My friend Katie introduced me to this concept and it fits my problem to a T. I'm still small and I appear thin and maybe even fit from a distance. However, my muscle/body fat ratio is WAY outta whack. I've got no muscle tone or definition whatsoever (okay, except for my left arm which is buff from lugging around a 20+ lb. baby everywhere). And yes, I've got cottage cheese on my bum. It ain't pretty people.

Basically, I need to come clean with all of you. While I was kicking butt for a while, dedicating some time every evening to BodyRock, I'm now doing nothing. Occasionally I chase Leila around the house (completely winded, mind you), but other than that, there is no fitness in my life right now. I go to work all day where I sit in front of a computer - my ass actually gets sore from sitting so long. And then I go home and I do spend some time on my feet taking care of the kids, but once they're asleep it's back down I go - either in front of the computer or the TV.

Why am I blogging about this? Well, lately I haven't felt quite right. Something is off. My happy-meter is low. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not healthy. I eat like crap and I don't exercise. Sure I look ok, and maybe even fit to most people, but I'm not. I'm skinny fat and I need to do something about it. If not for my body, for my mind.

Now I just need to figure out a way to squeeze some fitness time back into my life. I'll probably go back to BodyRock or maybe even just working on fitting 15 minutes of solid exercise in every evening. Time to tone and tighten, people. Time to get back to some dream doing. But more importantly, time to get my head on straight again.

Any suggestions? ideas? motivation? words of wisdom for someone who HATES working out?

5 comments:

  1. I HATE working out.  Big time.  But I also got sick of staring at the extra flab of skin on my belly from having an 11 pound baby.  I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week, but the ONLY thing that gets me there is having someone go with me.  I either go with my neighbor or I go when Mike gets home (plus, if you can find a gym with childcare, it gives you a little quiet time).  I have to be accountable to someone or I won't go.

    Also, taking classes has helped.  I've done Zumba and Turbo Kick and even though I feel like a moron, they're actually fun.  Again, I go with a friend so that I'm accountable, but if the workout just feels like dancing or kickboxing, it's way less painful to get me to go :)

    Trust me - right there with you.  It's hard!!  I know when I go back to work in September, I'll need an extra kick in the butt to go...but having someone work out with you totally helps!

    Good luck, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I haven't had a baby (yet), I feel the same way. I'm not a gym person at all, so I don't have any thoughts on that. I do really like the Yoga Meltdown dvd that Jillian Michaels does. I know she's kind of annoying but it's a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'd never heard that term before, but that's SO me! My midsection has always been that way, since I was younger, and after 3 kids...well, yeah. Plus, I was looking at my beach pictures and I can see the lack of definition in my legs and arms and I NEED to do something about it, because like you, I'm just not fit at all since I haven't been running or doing any exercise AT ALL.

    I keep telling myself "next week I'm going to start running again." But it's been months and it hasn't happened. Something's gotta give. I felt better about myself when I was active and exercising last year. I do agree with Mel that Zumba classes with friends are a great motivator to exercise. I miss my weekly Zumba :(

    All that to say, I'm right there with you. Thanks for this post, glad to know I'm not alone! I'm saying it now, next week will be the week. I WILL go out and run at least once, or set up the interval timer and go at it. Maybe I'll even get off my ass while I'm watching tv at night and do squats or pushups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! It's nice to know I'm not alone. My big problem of course, is time. Andy doesn't get home from work until 7:30, so I can't workout before that. And then by the time the kids are asleep it's like 8:30 and I'm pooped. I know, excuses excuses. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I despise working out, but I'm fat fat, not skinny fat. I just started the C25K app, and am (enjoying? as much as possible?) it so far. Maybe check that out. Also, tomorrow I am doing a link up with another blogger called Inspire Me: Get Healthy. It's every Thursday and I am hoping to use it as motivation. You should join. :) Good luck!
    Megan @ thememoirsofmegan.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...