Friday, June 24, 2011

Possessed

Do you believe in the terrible twos? I had always heard of them & I had even witnessed them in the children of friends and family. But I never really thought twice about them after I had Leila. She was born my little angel. So sweet and shy and well behaved. People always comment on how lucky we are and how good she is.

Little do they know...

Lately something is changing in Leila. My sweet angel is still there, but every now and then she becomes possessed. Possessed by something that is NOT her. She becomes a child who I do not know - a child I still love very much, but don't really know how to handle. The terrible twos have emerged in her sporadically over the last few weeks, but tonight was a whole new beast.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm not sure how it started really. It all seems so surreal. I picked her up from daycare after work and her teacher commented on how happy she was all day. GREAT! We can go home and have a wonderful evening together! NOT! She continued to be super happy for about another hour and then a switch went off. One minute she was eating her mac n cheese and smiling away at me. The next thing I knew she was throwing her macaroni and screaming her head off. I told her not to do that and it got worse. So, I tried to stop the tantrum by taking her to the bathroom for a bath. WRONG idea. Baths are Leila's favorite thing... or so I thought. She totally lost it when I started undressing her. By the time I got her in the bath she was thrashing around like a wild beast, trying to hit me, and screaming as if I was murdering her.

She cried for 45 minutes straight.

Once I got her dried off and dressed, gave her a binky and her bear, and sat her in front of Mickey Mouse on TV she calmed down.

But, for 45 minutes I didn't know my own daughter. I have never experienced that before. I know parents have to deal with this all the time, and even worse when out in public, but I just never knew.  The psychology nut in me wants to research all about this terrible two phenomenon, this demon that possesses our sweet, innocent babies. But I won't. Instead I'll just try to roll with the punches.

This was a perfect start to a long weekend with just me and Leila. Andy works this weekend, so we should have fun! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...