Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Don't let the bed bugs bite...

No, this is not a post about real bed bugs. I just wanted to share a little Leila story...

Last night as I was tucking her in I gave her a kiss and said, "Nighty night, don't let the bed bugs bite." I have never said this to her before, it just came out.

Leila's eyes got HUGE. She looked up at me and said in a very worried/concerned voice, "No No. Bugs outside momma. Bugs seeping."

I quickly backtracked and said, "Oh, you're right. There aren't any bugs in here. The bugs live outside."

You see, my girl is such a girly-girl. She has never seen anyone freak out over seeing a bug (at least not that I am aware of) and yet she cries and screams if a bug is crawling towards her. Usually I try not to mention bugs at all. I wish I could have got a pic of the look on her face!

Funny stuff.

Anyway, since I'm on the topic of Leila's bedtime I thought I'd jot down our current bedtime routine - to share with you and so that I will always remember her cuteness at this age...

"Brushing" her teeth...
Photobucket

Photobucket
  • 7:40ish:  Head upstairs and brush teeth.  Brushing teeth basically consists of Leila sucking off the fluoride-free toothpaste and then proceeding to chew on her tooth brush.  If I'm lucky, once or twice a week she will let me get at her teeth a little.  But usually she clenches her mouth shut and shakes her head from side to side if I try to take over. And this is why she hasn't been to a dentist yet. I don't think that one will go over very well with her.
  • 7:45pm:  Get her to sit on the potty and/or change her diaper one last time. If she pee-pees on the potty she gets an M&M and then I get the joy of trying to brush her teeth again. :-)
  • 7:50pm:  Leila picks out 2 books to read.  Usually it is the same 2 books over and over again for approximately 3 weeks and then she'll mix it up a little. We get in her bed, snuggle up, and I read the books to her.
  • 7:55pm:  I turn off Leila's bedside lamp and start to sing our little lullaby to her.  She immediately sits up and says, "Wa Wa... Wa Wa" asking for a drink of water.  I give in and get her a drink and then lay her back down. I sing and say a prayer while she is usually babbling away about something or grabbing my nose and squealing with delight (her attempts at distracting me). Sometimes she'll ask for more "Wa Wa" just to distract me again.
  • 8pm:  Final kisses and "Night Nights" are said.  After I get up from her bed Leila begs, "Momma lay down. Momma lay down pee."  Sometimes I cave in to her cuteness and lay down for a minute more. Usually I stay strong and proceed to walk out of the room.
  • After that all I can do is pray to God that she falls asleep.  Most nights she is out like a light within 10 minutes of me leaving the room (usually she sings to herself for a while or talks to her babies). But, about once a week I have to chase her back to bed a couple of times.

Ha Ha! Leila WAS "brushing" her teeth, but decided washing her feet was more fun...
Photobucket

NOTE: the times I highlighted above are a VERY general approximation. Usually we'll add an extra 5 minutes to most of those steps... bed time at our house can take anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes, depending on how much Leila is trying to distract us (i.e. washing her feet in the sink). I just feel so blessed to have such a funny, easy-going daughter (with the exception of getting her teeth properly brushed).  She really is the best.

Sometimes Daddy takes care of the bedtime routine, too...
Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I learned the "bed bugs" thing the hard way, too. Said it once to Aidan and he got scared...never again for any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind until it came out. It was super funny, though. I've learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...